It is no longer news that the COVID-19 pandemic has stopped most of us from going to work. As hard as making a living will be for some, it’s even harder to come up with ways to support your mental health in this new normal. When I first heard the news that I didn’t have to go to work (nor work from home), I was excited not because of my safety but because I needed to relax. But now, all I want to do is to go back to work.
Honestly, I am tired of being at home! And truth be told, I am not the only one feeling this way.
What can I do????????? *screaming on top of my voice*
I thought about these questions a couple of times, and unconsciously, I have picked up a couple of healthy habits.
And now, I don’t feel that crazy urge to go back to work, SAFETY FIRST, please!
HEALTHY WAYS TO SUPPORT YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
These are the things I have been doing, and thankfully, I haven’t gone crazy. Phew!
1. Watch movies!!!: Let me tell you something, I have more than 80 new movies on my phone at the moment. They are such good movies that I feel at peace while watching them. Some of the films I have watched so far are, “Lagos, Real, Fake life,” Breakthrough, Three Christs, The last thing he wanted, …and so on.
2. Listen to good music: This one is funny because I am not the music type, but in this season, good music has helped me stay sane. Do you want to know the fun part? Listening to songs and singing it out loud! Yea, that’s what makes it feel good.
3. Study: Okay, okay, calm down. I don’t mean studying chemistry or economics, NOOOO. What I mean is studying the Bible. Not that I don’t study my Bible before, but I now have more time to read and digest. And doing this has given me the most sense of peace, give it a try.
4. Use social media intentionally: Please, and please, we need to give social media a standing ovation. It has saved so many lives, time, and time again, and it’s still in the business of doing so. I have been moving from WhatsApp to Instagram, then to Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and so on. WhatsApp groups are underrated, to be honest with you. My book club family on WhatsApp is one of the reasons why I am still okay. Also, coordinating an internship program on WhatsApp and managing my Instagram pages has been a thing of joy. Oh my, social media is such a lifesaver in this season. I am sure you can agree with me.
5. Spend time with family: Micheal J. Fox stated, “Family is not an important thing; it is everything.” If you are on my WhatsApp contact, you will understand this point better. My mother has made me laugh several times; we play online games together; it has been fun with her. My younger brother won’t stop calling and texting me to tell me how much he loves me. My elder brothers are always there to crack me up, given a chance. You see why family cannot be overrated?
Now tell me, how can I go crazy with all of these. COVID-19 pandemic, as well as social distancing, has got nothing on us.
My dears, your mental health is of utmost importance.
If you aren’t working at all, you need at least two things on the above list to keep you engaged.
If you are working from home, I know that family can drive you crazy, haha! But, you still love them anyway.
And for those going to work at this point, may God bless you and keep you safe from COVID-19. If you are reading this, I am sending you love, light, and God’s protection. That’s it, folks! I couldn’t have said it all, so how have you been supporting your mental health in this season?
Let’s chat in the comment section below.